Google Analytics Integration With ProProfs Knowledge Base
Google Analytics is a free web analytics tool that gives you rich insights into your website traffic. It's powerful and easy-to-use features, let you see and analyze your traffic data in an insightful way. You can integrate your ProProfs site with Google Analytics to gain insight into what your visitors are doing.
You can look-up the exact keywords that customers are using to find information in your knowledge base. This helps you write help articles that customers are desperately looking for and avoid obscure topics that they don't really care about.
Along with site search terms, you can track the knowledge base pages that are most viewed by customers. You can use this data to display a list of popular articles on your FAQ’s homepage to and offer other users quick access to important information.
You can also find out where users go after landing on a page. This is called a behavior flow report, that shows the path users take through your knowledge base. It’s a key metric that helps you identify those black sheep solutions that lead users astray, and what must be done to improve the UX of your knowledge base.
- Setting Up Google Analytics
- Installing Google Analytics in ProProfs
- Check to See if It Is Working
- Finding Your Tracking Code
- Tracking Internal Site Searches
- Turning Off Google Analytics
Setting up Google Analytics
- The first step is to log into Google Analytics at http://www.google.com/analytics/. The main settings page will appear which may list accounts that you have already added in the past.
- Click Settings at the top. In the first column is the Accounts section. Click on the dropdown and then select Create new account.
- Enter in an Account Name and Website Name to identify your site.
- Enter the Website URL of your site (such as mycompany.helpdocsonline.com) or your custom domain (such as help.mycompany.com). Make sure to select http:// from the drop-down menu in front of the text box.
- Optionally select your industry and reporting time zone.
- Select your country and time zone.
- Click Get Tracking ID to generate the tracking code. A new screen will appear.
- Locate the Tracking ID and copy the code that looks like UA-xxxxxxx-x or write it down.
- Log in to your account (as an administrator), and click Settings > Configure & Brand.
- Select the site you want to install Google Analytics for.
- Click the Integrations tab.
- Locate the section titled Google Analytics and paste your UA-xxxxxxx-x code.
- Click Save.
- After 24 hours or so, go back to http://www.google.com/analytics/ to check that you have successfully set up Google Analytics.
- Next to your site’s URL, Google Analytics will show it is either Receiving Data (you were successful) or Tracking Not Installed (something is wrong).
- If it says Tracking Not Installed, click Check Status. Google then checks your site for the Analytics Code and reports back whether it finds it or not.
- If not, try re-pasting your UA-xxxxxxx-x code into ProProfs and checking the status again.
Finding your tracking code
If at any time you need to find your tracking code, you can access it from the administration settings screen in Google Analytics. Look for a link labeled Property Settings. Then look for the Tracking ID that looks like UA-xxxxxxx-x.
Tracking internal site searches
Your ProProfs site comes with a robust search feature that instantly makes are you content searchable by your visitors. However, do you want to know what your end users are searching for and what pages they are clicking on?
By connecting Google Analytics to your ProProfs account you can take advantage of the Site Search reports. A search box is a goldmine of information because each time users search, they tell you in their own words exactly what they are looking for.
After you setup and install Google Analytics as defined above you will need to activate Site Search as it's not enabled by default.
- On the top menu select Settings.
- Make sure the site you add is selected. Then click View Settings.
- Scroll down the page and look for the Site Search Settings and turn it ON
- For the Query Parameter enter: Search then click Save
- Site Search will not be activated. On the top menu select Reporting
Looking at where people search can give you insight into how they use your site. Are they searching from the home page, or do they go deeper into the site before searching? Do they search from search results pages, immediately following one search with another? From any given page, what do they search for?
To access the reporting on the top menu select Reporting . Then on the left-side menu select Behavior > Site Search.
- Go to Site Search > Pages to identify the pages from which users started searching.
- Click one of the pages in the table to see the search phrases used from that page.
You can also determine what pages the user clicks on after performing a search
- Go to Site Search > Search Terms to see a list of search terms
- From the Secondary Dimension select Behavior > Exit Page
- Now there are two columns: Search Term and Exit page. The Search Term is what your users searched for. The Exit Page is what the user clicked on after performing a search. If you see /?search=term this means they performed another search while still on your ProProfs search results page.
Turning Off Google Analytics
If you have Google Analytics enabled, you can turn it off at any time by doing the following:
- Log in to your account (as an administrator), and click Settings > Add, Edit, Customize Sites.
- Select the site you want to remove Google Analytics for.
- Click the Integrations tab.
- Locate the section titled Google Analytics and delete your UA-xxxxxxx-x code.
- Click Save.